Cassie's Weekly Recommendations: Week One

Those of you who follow my online shenanigans beyond this blog may be aware that I am the blogs editor for ACRN.com, Ohio University's All Campus Radio Network.

One of the blogs I oversee is called Exec Recs. In it, the executives of each of the station's departments list their current recommendations to readers. The blog is updated twice weekly, and I have so much fun and learn so much from the varying tastes of the contributors as I edit the posts that I decided to start my own Weekly Recommendations series here. I hope you enjoy!

____

1. "Blasphemous Rumors" - Depeche Mode



Is there anything better to listen to while writing or painting than Darkwave? Don't challenge me-- I'm a gloomy kid and believe there is not.

Recently, I wrote a story for my short fiction class about an encounter between a person who was about to commit suicide and a person trying to convince the other not to. It turned into a mental dialogue about how human interaction when it comes to mortality is all really a big joke. Bleak, I know...

Later in the week, as I painted a Killjoy mask for a friend, this song came on, and it kind of fit. I don't even want to know how many times I've listened to it since.

2. Ray Fucking Toro



I don't think anything needs to be said. That man is amazing.

Yesterday, chaos broke out on Tumblr that he had broken his foot during a show. It has since been cleared up by show-goer Tera who explained that as Gerard vaguely mentioned something about Toro's hurting his foot, Toro smiled onstage, shook his head, moved around and jumped.

Anyway, Ray Toro is a genius. His playing speaks to me just as loudly as words, and I cannot wait to meet him next week!

3. "Humdrum Town" - Theophilus London



I've had this song on my iPod for about a year now and can still listen to it on repeat without getting sick of it. Theophilus London takes the influence of The Smiths and brings it into hip-hop to create something beautiful here.

4. "Rill Rill" - Sleigh Bells



I'm so late jumping on the Sleigh Bells...sleigh, but this song is killer and WILL. NOT. get out of my head. I have to listen to it at least once a day to get my fix. Plus, as one of my friends on Facebook mentioned, the video makes me think the Killjoys are going to pop out at any moment. My response: "SLOW DOWN, WOMAN! SHOW PONY SKATES THERE!"

5. My Chemical Romance's cover of Pulp's "Common People"



When My Chemical Romance's Live Lounge session aired on BBC Radio 1 on March 31, few fans were surprised to hear that they had chosen to cover Pulp's "Common People;" as, they had played it live on a couple stops of their European tour.

This is another tune I have to listen to at least once a day. I think we can all feel the pangs of being common people often. See Gerard's face at 1:13 of this video for how I feel when those who are above common flaunt their status in my face these days...

XoXo
c.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONTEST: Win a set of My Chemical Romance action figures, a signed t-shirt or a MASScanvas shirt!

My Chemical Romance Mystery Twitter Accounts

Dear Bob Bryar: In Honor of Dixie