Another Life Chapter: Another "Thank You" to My Chemical Romance

I try to avoid personal posts here, but I think this occasion warrants it.

Today is the 8th anniversary of the release of the album that introduced me to the the thing that absolutely turned my life around--My Chemical Romance.

By a magical coincidence that I, as a 14-year-old in 2004 about to go into high school and first discovering MCR through Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge commercials, could have never predicted, the album's 8th anniversary happens to fall on the day before I graduate from college.

That's right. Tomorrow, I take the big, horrifying leap into the real world. And I do mean horrifying.

The perfect 8-year span from the time I discovered My Chemical Romance and started high school to the end of my education is a remarkable coincidence and something for which I am so thankful. I also could have never predicted then just how huge of a role one band could play in my life.

High school is a trying 4 years for everyone. College is testing and terrifying in that it makes you face your growing up. During those 8 unstable years,  I always had something stable that I could believe in in My Chemical Romance.

From those terrible teenage years when they first inspired me and helped show me the value of my own life, through low times when they reminded me I didn't have to be afraid to live, through falling into fear and wanting safety and their showing me all over again to live dangerously and to not give up on my dreams, My Chemical Romance kept me on my feet and as strong as I could possibly be through both adversity and good times.

Always. That music was there, and the power and meaning of it has never diminished.
 
So, now to the next chapter, to the next 8 years. I have a feeling the world isn't going to go easy on me, but I also feel comfort in knowing that through discovering MCR, through internalizing all they have shown me, I am so much stronger than I was 8 years ago.

There is so much more that I could say that there are simply no words to describe.

Thank you, My Chemical Romance. Infinitely.

-Cassie
Art is the Weapon.
Your Imagination is the Ammunition.
Stay Dirty, and Stay Dangerous.
Create and Destroy as you see fit.
Embrace your Originality.
The Aftermath is Secondary.
You can and should do Anything.
-Frank Iero

Comments

Ethne said…
I've congratulated you both on Facebook and Twitter, but I'll just go ahead and do so here, too.
I've never met you, but still, I am very happy for you. Does that make sense? I am proud and happy about the college graduation of a person with whom I have only spoken online. But the thing is, I see a bit of myself in you.
I understand how MCR changed everything for you, 'cause I went through something similar. And they were one of my greatest motivations to study Journalism in university. And when I graduated, I walked up to receive my diploma in MCR-related garments.
They taught us to never back down. And in Journalism, well, that's basic survival instincts.
The thing is... congratulations Cassie, from the bottom of my heart :)
May our paths cross through our musical journalism careers!

Popular posts from this blog

CONTEST: Win a set of My Chemical Romance action figures, a signed t-shirt or a MASScanvas shirt!

My Chemical Romance Mystery Twitter Accounts

Dear Bob Bryar: In Honor of Dixie